Lovemonk is a small record label from the Malasaña borough of Madrid. It may sound like the biggest cliché in the history of popular music, but there is not one particular label that can be used to describe Lovemonk’s sound. Indeed, many different labels can be and have been used, and all of them are valid at some point. If there is one word that sums it all up, it’s – hold tight, another cliché alert! – “eclectic”. That, and “sunny”.
But what better way to explain than to release a label compilation that says it all? Enter “Los Discos Buenos Suenan Mejor” (“Good Records Sound Better”), a CD that travels many roads – progressive disco-rock by the ever so surprising The Phenomenal Handclap Band, Latin boogie by the Grammy-winning Los Amigos Invisibles, folkie Russian Red singing to the dancefloor with Nelue, a bomb track previously unreleased on CD by The Right Ons, Makala doing ragtime-hop, a boogaloo by The Gigoletto Brass Band, the Flaming Groovies classic “Shake Some Action” soulified by Jenny Dee & The Deelinquents, New Orleans grooves by Speak Low, carioca-funk by Open Foraina, groovy folk by Bing Ji Ling, deep funk by Chip Wickham and of course the label’s classics such as Gecko Turner, Pajaro Sunrise and Martín Buscaglia, the latter with a preview of his upcoming album!
And all this comes in a marvellous digi-pack with beautiful artwork by Polish designer Animiwiesasz.
Enjoy the ride!
01. Open Foraina feat. Jack Quiñonez – Fala Tanto
02. Bing Ji Ling – Home
03. Soul Vigilantes feat. Xan Blacq – Under Water
04. Los Amigos Invisibles – Plastic Woman
05. Nelue feat. Russian Red – Deconstructed
06. The Phenomenal Handclap Band – 15 to 20
07. Gecko Turner – 45,000$ (Guapapasea) (Afrodisiac Soundsystem Remix)
08. Jenny Dee & The Deelinquents – Shake Some Action
09. Pajaro Sunrise – Perfect
10. Martín Buscaglia – Jaula de Motos
11. Speak Low – Black Used Shoes
12. The Right Ons – Hey Yeah!
13. Chip Wickham – Feelin’ Alright (Instrumental)
14. Makala – Cartoon Tune
15. The Gigoletto Brass Band – Boogalow